Fairtrade America is the U.S. member organization of Fairtrade International, an independent, third party certification that betters the lives of farmers and workers in developing countries. Today, the U.S. organization announced it has partnered with five licensees to encourage ethical gift giving and entertaining this holiday season. According to the National Retail Federation, 70% of consumers plan on partaking in conscientious and charitable activities during the holidays, including buying from brands that give back. This November, Fairtrade America and Endangered Species Chocolate, Navitas Organic, Conscious Step, Fran’s Chocolates, and Kicking Horse Coffee, all Fairtrade certified brands, will celebrate the benefits of choosing Fairtrade certified products by providing three lucky winners with the gift of Fairtrade certified products.
Fairtrade America upholds the most rigorous standards for ethical certification to ensure a tangible, positive impact on the livelihood of small-scale farmers and their communities in developing countries. Specifically, Fairtrade certification means farmers and workers are paid at least the Fairtrade Minimum Price – a safety net that ensures farmers are paid a higher price when the global market prices drop – and received Fairtrade Premium, which spreads the benefits of Fairtrade into the community. Today, Fairtrade positively impacts more than 1.7 million farmers and workers in 75 countries.
Fairtrade America also serves U.S. consumers, creating access to ethically and sustainably sourced products. U.S. consumers are increasingly purchasing products based on values and sustainable lifestyles. The U.S. now ranks as the third largest market for Fairtrade goods behind the United Kingdom and Germany. In 2017, Fairtrade retail sales in the U.S. topped $1 billion. Fairtrade sales in the U.S. grew by 33% over the last year, and the number of Fairtrade products available nearly doubled. According to a 2019 GloebeScan study, 76% of U.S. shoppers would have a more favorable perception of a brand they already purchased if it carried the Fairtrade America logo, and 64% would recommend Fairtrade products to a friend or colleague.
“Our mission is to secure decent working conditions, fair prices, and better terms of trade to empower producers and ultimately improve their social, environmental and economic stability,” said Bryan Lew, Fairtrade America’s chief operation officer. “We achieve this mission, in part, by encouraging shoppers interested in ethically and sustainably sourced products to vote with their dollars for Fairtrade certified products.”
Fairtrade America works with nearly 100 U.S. and internationally based brands, and the Fairtrade mark appears on more than 30,000 products globally. This holiday season, Fairtrade America is teaming up with five of its partners to host a giveaway on Instagram that will celebrate the benefits of Fairtrade certified products, and provide three winners the opportunity to win a Fairtrade for the Holidays prize package filled with items perfect for entertaining and gift giving, including:
- Endangered Species Chocolate – Proving chocolate can be more than a treat for your taste buds, Endangered Species Chocolate has provided four of its Fairtrade certified products for this initiative, including:
- Penguin Bar: Rich, 72% cocoa dark chocolate provides the canvas for a winter wonderland of taste and texture in our original holiday flavor. Peppermint-infused chocolate meets crunchy cocoa nibs for a combination as unforgettable as it is delicious;
- Polar Bear Bar: Warm spiced apple mingles with luscious, gooey caramel for a comforting taste, all wrapped in 60% cocoa dark chocolate;
- Ram Bar: Citrus-forward seasonal bar complete with the tart, flavorful pops of cranberries and orange combined with the warm of cinnamon and mellow richness of 60% cocoa dark chocolate
- Holiday Truffle: Satin smooth chocolate truffles burst with decadent caramel for a seasonal delight.
- Navitas Organics – Navitas Organics’ best-selling Cacao Powder is made by cold-pressing cacao nibs into a paste and then drying that into a powder. Pressing the nibs further concentrates the minerals and antioxidants found naturally in cacao and deepens the dark cocoa taste and color. Navitas Organics Cacao Powder is easy to use: simply substitute this healthy, natural cocoa 1:1 into any recipe that calls for baking cocoa. Great in baked treats, smoothies, homemade chocolates and hot chocolate, the holiday options are endless.
- Conscious Step: It’s time to stand up and stop violence against women. In partnership with the United Nations Trust Fund to End Violence Against Women, each pair of Conscious Step’s ‘Socks that Stop Violence Against Women’ show support for gender equality and provide access to justice for two survivors of violence. Lined with an extra layer of terry in the sole, these Fairtrade certified cotton socks are so comfortable you won’t want to take them off!
- Fran’s Chocolates – When Fran Bigelow introduced her Chocolate Salted Caramels in 1998, little did she know they would become her signature confection and inspire a popular culinary trend. Fran’s Gray and Smoked Salt Caramels feature soft, butter caramel enrobed in chocolate and finished with a sprinkling of artisan sea salt. An uncompromising passion for quality and presentation have made these caramels one of Seattle’s quintessential gifts, delighting chocolate lovers the world over.
- Kicking Horse Coffee – If there’s something worth doing, Kicking Horse Coffee believes it’s worth doing great. Perfect to wake up and kick ass with, the Kick Ass Ground is a dark roast that’s sweet, smoky, and audacious. This remarkable blend of beans is the spirit of Kicking Horse Coffee and delivers a smoky, sweet vanilla and dark chocolate aroma, and a taste that’s complete with chocolate malt, molasses, and licorice notes and an earthly lingering finish.
The Instagram giveaway will kick-off on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and entries will be accepted for one week. Stay tuned for more details on the Fairtrade America Instagram feed.
About Fairtrade America
Fairtrade America betters the lives of farmers and workers in developing countries by inspiring businesses to implement ethical production practices and assisting shoppers in making informed purchasing decisions. Fairtrade America is the U.S. chapter of Fairtrade International, the original and global leader in fair trade certification with more than 30 years of experience working for fair trading practices in more than 30 countries across the globe. A non-profit 501(c)3 organization, we are the world’s largest and most recognized fair trade system—part of a global movement for change.
 National Retail Federation – https://nrf.com/blog/tis-giving-season