Bechtel thanked colleagues at the company’s affiliated government and nuclear projects for donating more than $5.6 million in 2019. These efforts included fundraising for charities, toy and food drives, walks supporting a variety of causes and countless volunteer hours supporting our local communities across all projects. The recognition is part of Bechtel’s Stewardship Month, celebrated each year in February.
“We’re fortunate to have colleagues at our project sites and permanent offices who are so passionate about stewardship,” said Barbara Rusinko, president of Bechtel’s Nuclear, Security and Environmental business unit. “Their efforts reflect our commitment to actively engage and support our community partners. If we can ignite a spark of learning in a young person, or help a veteran, a small contribution is returned many times over.”
Examples at Bechtel-affiliated projects include:
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s Helping Others More Effectively (HOME) Campaign raised more than $3.7 million for charitable organizations through their annual employee giving program. Their efforts were supported by a match from Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, which manages and operates the lab.
- Consolidated Nuclear Security LLC and its employees at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Tennessee and the Pantex Plant in Texas were active in charitable contributions to United Way, Big Brothers Big Sisters, educational activities, veterans’ services, workforce development activities with local labor unions, and employee-directed community grants.
- Employees and tradespeople at the Plant Vogtle Units 3 & 4 construction project in Georgia made considerable contributions to Forces United, STEM Programming, United Way, and the Burke Country Sheriff’s Department for traffic safety. The volunteer hours completed by colleagues neared 1,000 hours and supported a wide variety of local causes and events throughout the year.
- The Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant and its employees donated funds and volunteer hours to local organizations and community programs in southeastern Washington including Toys for Tots, Junior Achievement, the Family Food Drive, and a significant contribution to United Way.
- The Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Plant project in Colorado, led by Bechtel National Inc., donated a considerable amount to United Way through employee and corporate contributions. Other causes included donations to STEM Programming for the Pueblo School District, the American Red Cross, and the Pueblo YMCA.
- Employees at the Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant project in Kentucky, managed by Bechtel Parsons Blue Grass, donated significant funding to United Way and other charitable organizations. Colleagues kept busy in 2019 recording nearly 2,200 volunteer hours, awarding 12 scholarships, and donating approximately 127 units of blood all within their local community.
- Savannah River Remediation, LLC and its Bechtel-affiliated employees in Aiken, South Carolina supported various causes, such as the Heart Walk, Toys for Tots, United Way, FIRST Robotics teams, and Helping Hands amongst various volunteer hours.
- Colleagues at a government project in Canberra, Australia put down their razors and supported the November campaign for cancer awareness in men.
- Employees at Bechtel’s world headquarters in Reston, Virginia raised funds for local schools, mentored students, and supported the U.S. Navy Seabees scholarship program.
The company’s signature stewardship program partners include FIRST® Robotics, Junior Achievement Worldwide, DiscoverE, and Engineers Without Borders. Bechtel partners with the four nonprofits to support education, encourage volunteerism and improve communities globally by sharing our engineering and construction expertise.
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com